(WHNT) — While enjoying Thanksgiving dinner, it’s tough not to share table scraps with our four-footed family members. But some traditional Thanksgiving dishes can be dangerous for dogs and cats.
According to an American Kennel Club report, veterinarians tend to see an increase in patients on Thanksgiving due to dogs and cats being fed unsafe human foods, which can be unhealthy or even toxic.
While some holiday food is actually OK for pets if given correctly, some can be quite hazardous. Bones are particularly tempting because they seem like a no-brainer for dogs especially.
However, the American Veterinary Medical Association recommends keeping turkey bones away from your animals as they can cause damage to your pet’s digestive tract.
Here are some foods that are safe and unsafe for your furry friends:
What is safe?
- Sweet potatoes with no added ingredients
- Potatoes, only boiled or baked with no butter, sour cream, salt or pepper
- Apples, but without the core or any seeds
- Turkey meat with no bones, skin or fat
- Green beans with no added ingredients
- Plain peas are OK, but creamed peas should be avoided
- Pumpkin, but not the pre-spiced pie mix
- Dessert (such as frozen yogurt) is an option, but none with artificial sweeteners like xylitol
What is unsafe?
- Turkey bones, skin, and gravy
- Mashed potatoes
- Creamed peas
- Chocolate, cookies, pies, and sweets (especially anything containing xylitol)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Raisins and grapes
- Onions, scallions and garlic
- Yeast dough
- Fatty foods
- Foods containing spices
If your pet gets into something it shouldn’t, seek help right away. In the event of an emergency, contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or your local after-hours vet.
Denial of responsibility! Toys Matrix is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – admin@ toysmatrix.com . The content will be deleted within 24 hours.